Categories
Uncategorized

Week #4 Blog Privacy and Technology

Hello classmates I will be talking about the ongoing civil conflict liberties and my perspective on these situations. In Addition, one ongoing civil liberty conflict is privacy and technology. What I mean by that is technology is constantly comprising our privacy as a result the government can track us, see online searches, and finally track our purchases. According to the article “Privacy and Technology” published by the ACLU, it states “Technological innovation has outpaced our privacy protections.” This sentence “outpaced our privacy protections,” is significant here because it explains how technology exposes our privacy to the government. Another example from the same article states “ This digital footprint is constantly growing, containing more and more data about the most intimate aspects of our lives.” This sentence “Containing more and more data about the most intimate aspects of our lives,” is significant because it explains how our data gets exposed even more by technology. To summarize, I believe that technology/privacy violates our civil liberty because technology comprises our privacy which provides our data to the government.

In conclusion, when the government violates our privacy when using technology I believe it violates our 4th amendment too.

sources: https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy-technology

1 reply on “Week #4 Blog Privacy and Technology”

Adam, thanks so much for this thoughtful post. Technology evolves much faster than law, especially recently! Surveillance technology (digital searches and monitoring like you mention) is far newer than the 4th amendment, so it’s one more example of the difficulty of adapting a 200+ year old document to our contemporary world.